Cooking with Katie: Classic Minestrone Soup
From Julie Newsom
Join IU Student Health Center Registered Dietitian Katie Shepherd on a culinary adventure! In this session, you can cook with Katie to make classic minestrone soup.
- 1 small or ½ medium to large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 quarts chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 zucchini, diced, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup dry shell pasta
- 3 handfuls baby spinach
- ½ oz package of fresh basil, chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute (being careful not to brown) before adding rest of chopped vegetables. Salt vegetables as desired.
- Cook vegetables for about 5 minutes before adding broth and tomatoes. Add dried basil. Bring mixture to a boil and add dried pasta and cook until al dente, 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in canned beans and spinach and stir one minute until spinach is wilted. Topped with chopped fresh basil and shredded or grated parmesan cheese.